Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Book of the Week: Black Creek Crossing by John Saul


I have to admit that I'm not exactly the biggest Saul fan out there. And if my library didn't carry this title, I'd have to say I probably wouldn't have read it. What I've read about this book is that it's not one of Saul's stronger stories and it's basically a paint-by-numbers horror tale. Having said that, I did like the story, although it was a little short and could have been better if it was a little more fleshed out. It's got a lot of good old horror staples in it like witchcraft, haunted houses, ghosts, misunderstood teenagers and revenge. Sure, at times this book is predictable and not that scary but it's a good way to wile away a few hours because the story moves. Did I like to book? Yes. Am I now a true Saul fan? No. It was good enough to be enjoyed but not good enough for me to be excited about his next one. If my library get his next book, I'll give him another shot. I rate this book ***1/2 out of *****.

No comments: