Saturday, June 11, 2005

DVD Review: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events


This movie, based on the fictional Lemony Snicket's bestselling line of books, is at the same time wonderful and crappy. My point being, that if you've read any of the books, you're sure to be left feeling cheated. I loved the way the film was shot, the effects were great, even the acting was good. However, I hated the way the movie began with a short version of the opening of Book 1, then took bit parts from that book, bit parts from the second, bit parts from the third and then ended the movie with an altered ending from the first book. I didn't like that at all. I know the books are short, but to try to condense three of them is retarted. They should have just did the first book, the entire book and then the sequels. But the movie was enjoyable to watch due to the effects, locations and Jim Carrey. I'm not his biggest fan, but he was good here. I'm gonna give this movie a middle of the road rating at **1/2 out of *****. Should have been and could have been better if they stuck to just the first book.

No comments: