Wednesday, May 18, 2005

CD of the Month (May): Pretty in Black by The Raveonettes


There's nothing like finding a band you never heard of before and discovering great music that you've been missing out on. That's what happened when I came across The Raveonettes. I've never heard of this band before and let me tell you, I'm glad I found them. They have a hand full of albums out but Pretty in Black is only their second full length album. Sune Rose Wagner and Sharin Foo are the driving forces behind this mellow, 50's-esque sounding group. They share mic time and sound really good together. The album is full of twangy guitar and echo effects and plain old good music. The opening track "Heavens" is a soft, melancholy piece that is just beautiful. There is also a cover of "My Boyfriend's Back", but I feel it and "Love in a Trashcan" are the two weak spots on the album. "Sleepwalking" and "Red Tan" are perfection and the rest of the album is solid. If you also haven't heard of them, give them a try. You'll be swept back to the drive-in, steamy windows and all. Pretty in Black gets ****1/2 out of *****.

No comments: