Sunday, April 03, 2005

DVD Review: Toolbox Murders


Ah yes, Tobe Hooper's triumphant return to horror, eh? Well...no. The director of one of the original scarefests, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, tries to update a movie he made many many moons ago and succeeds in making another run of the mill slasher pic. While I didn't hate the movie, I didn't love it either. I was expecting great things for this one because of all the advanced publicity and reviews. I was a tad disappointed to say the least. The beginning was very slow moving and not until the last 15 minutes did the movie get moving. Angela Bettis was worlds better in May, here, she kind of annoyed me. The story centers on a couple that move into a dilapidated apartment building that houses a secret, a deadly secret, mwa ha ha ha! Neighbors slowly, and I mean slowly, begin to die and eventually we find out what they did with Darkman's costume after that franchise dried up, they loaned it to the Toolbox Murderer! His method of killing is self explanatory and he uses a few good choices. It doesn't however, save this film. The extra's on the disc are few and not special. Sorry Tobe, you get only **1/2 out of *****.

No comments: