Friday, September 22, 2006

CD Review: A Matter of Life and Death by Iron Maiden


This was hard to come by. Not the CD, the review. I had mixed feelings when I heard the album for the first time. I thought it was a little boring, a shadow of what Maiden used to be. Then, the more I listened to it, the better it sounded. Turns out I actually like the album, although it's still a shadow of what Maiden used to be. Call this the "new era of Iron Maiden". It started with Brave New World and continues here. Most of the songs start off with that soft bass line that is so familiar to Maiden songs and then they pick up tempo. Here's the tracklist:
  1. Different World
  2. These Colours Don't Run
  3. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
  4. Pilgrim
  5. Longest Day
  6. Out of The Shadows
  7. Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
  8. For The Greater Good of God
  9. Lord of Light
  10. Legacy
As you can see, the songs are patriotic in theme as Iron Maiden is making their comment on modern society. Like I said, it's a good album, certainly not Maiden's finest, but it nice to see the old geezers still pumping out some very good music. Newer bands will never have the longetivity of the classic forefathers of rock, like Maiden, Priest, Kiss, and AC/DC!!! I give this latest Maiden disc ***1/2 out of *****.

No comments: