Wednesday, February 20, 2008

DVD Review: Primal

When my email inbox notified me that I was getting the new release Primal, I was excited to say the least. As you probably already know, I'm a Bigfoot freak. I try to see every film, every documentary or television program about the beast and I try to read every book I can find on him as well. And while I love researching the big guy, I cannot say that I'm an expert on him. But of this I am certain, the monster in Primal is about as far away from Bigfoot as the Loch Ness Monster is! I actually had to reverse the DVD to make sure I saw what I thought I saw!

That being said, the monster is not just the film's weak spot, but it's also what makes the film so endearing. No, I'm not smoking Bigfoot dung! You have to watch the movie to see what I mean. Upon first glance of the beast, I was ready to take a hammer to my DVD player for displaying such a contrived juvenile monstrosity such as this before my eyes. But alas, my garage is in such a shambles, I had no choice but to let the disc play (what, get up and turn the disc off manually? Never!).

Once I settled into the movie, I was surprised to discover that I was actually liking this thing. I wasn't loving it, but I was sitting there with a stupid look on my face like the look I make when I actually get a warm Big Mac from my local McDonalds. A rare, nice surprise.

Oh, as for the plot, a bunch of kids venture into an unchartered part of the forest as they are doing a survelliance mission for big oil, and they get knocked off one by one by you know who (in a series of repetitive attacks). A small film that's big on ambition, Primal won't be winning any awards, but it was fun nonetheless. I give Primal *** out of *****.





No comments: