Saturday, August 20, 2005

Movie Review: Ichi the Killer


I had the opportunity to catch Takashi Miike's violent film Ichi the Killer the other day on the Sundance Channel. Everything I heard about this movie was how utterly violent and brutal it was. I thought the film was very good and not the hardcore gorefest everyone makes it out to be. The story is very engaging, the acting very good and the direction was pretty ahead of it's time for a film made in 2001. When an underworld Boss gets brutally murdered, his main hitman, Kakihara (pictured on the cover) goes on a rampage to find his killer. Kakihara is a sadomasochist and anxiously awaits the showdown. The killer of course is Ichi, a young man so troubled internally that he constantly cries and can't control his killing tendencies. The duo have a date with fate that ends with very questionable results, I have my own theory about what happens at the end of this film. If you would like to discuss it, leave me a comment and I'll tell you what I think. I really liked the movie and will search out Miike's other films to see how they stack up against this one. I give it **** out of *****.

No comments: